CLASSES WITH ALAN DEWEY
I send out email notices of new classes, auctions, and other updates.
Not on the email listserve? Quick! Go sign up!
Click SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
PICS & VIDEOS
I. General overview
Classes are at the workshop in West Asheville.
- Each full class is provided with an online syllabus, step-by-step how to videos, and any other instructional materials needed. These are posted on this website, and are never taken away. They thus serve as ongoing reference for students (and anyone else who is interested).
- I am always available by email, and I encourage questions from anyone and everyone.
- Every class is four students. No more nor less.
- Husband-wife teams are very common in these classes...recently, two couples came and all worked together. It worked very well.
- While you are in the class, you work at your own lathe. You use your own tools. No sharing required.
- Every class has two instructors: I always lead the teaching, Milissa (a sixth year turner in her own right) assists. Both of us stay for the entirety of the class. So the teacher:student ratio is great...
"Four students and two teachers is like having private instruction with just enough space to think on my own." (comment by a former student)
- Everything you need to learn to turn is included in the class fee of $250, and the fee includes all materials plus a set of tools you take home with you. Just bring yourself! And bottled water plus some food...
Beginners' Chess Set Making Class
This class teaches you to turn while you make your own chess set. That's true! We will start with absolute beginners. It is the only class of this sort in the world, and is tremendously popular.
Chess set making intensives take two days. It takes ALL day, EACH day to get through this, so please plan on being here from 8-5 on both Saturday and Sunday. We can also schedule these classes for two Saturdays, or two Sundays, if that works better. In the end you walk out with a Staunton style competition chess set (4" kings!) complete with carved knights.
CLASS PAGE: BEGINNER'S CHALLENGE... MAKE A CHESS SET IN TWO DAYS! includes all how-to videos...check it out!
Skill Set of the Victorian Turners
This class is actually an extension of the chess set making class. In the chess set class, you learn solid-body spindle turning and carving at the lathe. In this class, you are taught a wider and extremely useful set of skills: design, external form, modified hollow form, turning between centers, turning with end running free (use of a glue chuck), capture ring turning, bone turning, finial work, threading, object replication.
The first day, you make an object going through the various skills step-by-step. On the second day, you make a copy of that object...trying to remember for yourself how to do it! We are there the entire time to help, of course. The class page (below) has the syllabus, videos of each step of making the object, and videos of making the tools. Check them out and write if you have questions.
It takes ALL day, EACH day to get through this, so please plan on being here from 8-5 on both Saturday and Sunday. We can also schedule these classes for two Saturdays, or two Sundays, if that works better.
CLASS PAGE: SKILL SET OF THE VICTORIAN TURNERS
includes all how-to videos...check it out!
A SHOUT OUT FOR STUDENTS!
As well as teaching here at the
workshop, I also have "distance students" who learn from the videos
as well as extended email correspondences. This is done at no charge whatsoever
to the student.
One of these students, Haim Hen of beautiful Zichron Yaackov, Israel, sent me a link to his work. Pictures speak more loudly than words...take a look!
TO ASHEVILLE ... WHAT FUN!
If you need info on staying in Asheville, the loveliest city in what may be the loveliest region of America, please contact me or dig around online. There are amusements and learning opportunities for the whole family here, so working a class in with a family vacation becomes possible. Here are a couple of good places to start your research: Romantic Asheville and Asheville: Any Way You Like It.
However, if you wanna do the bohemian thing, stay local. Check out staying at Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel. It is three blocks from the house, and about the same from 5 or 6 good restaurants. Aside from the wildly popular West End Bakery, lots of folks love the UJ and Sunny Point Cafe. Being who we are, we are fond of the Tastee Diner, which is a working man's establishment that has been in business since 1947. Anyway, the Hostel is also close to the Westville Pub and Hops and Vines. The pub is a very good pub , and you can often get a game of chess in the back as well. Hop & Vines is a supply store for beer & wine making that offers free Friday beer tastings of local beers. Aside from free beer, this is meaningful because the city of Asheville is Beer City USA for the third year in a row!
Check out my CHESSSPY: LIFE AND ALL THAT page for more about Asheville: we have a cross-dressing bicycling nun, Friday night drum circles, and more. So very much more...