CLASSES WITH ALAN DEWEY
I send out email notices of new classes, auctions, and other updates.
Click SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
I. General overview
Classes are at the workshop in West Asheville.
- Each full class is provided with an online syllabus, step-by-step how to videos, and any other instructional materials needed. These are posted on this website, and are never taken away. They thus serve as ongoing reference for students (and anyone else who is interested).
- I am always available by email, and I encourage questions from anyone and everyone.
- Every class is four students. No more nor less.
- Husband-wife teams are very common in these classes...recently, two couples came and all worked together. It worked very well.
- While you are in the class, you work at your own lathe. You use your own tools. No sharing required.
- Every class has two instructors: I always lead the teaching, Milissa (a rising sixth year turner in her own right) assists. Both of us stay for the entirety of the class. So the teacher:student ratio is great...
"Four students and two teachers is like having private instruction with just enough space to think on my own." (comment by a former student)
- Everything you need to learn to turn is included in the class fee of $250, and the fee includes all materials plus a set of tools you take home with you. Just bring yourself! And bottled water plus some food...
Beginners' Chess Set Making Class
This class teaches you to turn while you make your own chess set. That's true! We will start with absolute beginners. It is the only class of this sort in the world, and is tremendously popular.
"Learn to Turn" beginner class, pics & videos
Chess set making intensives take two days. It takes ALL day, EACH day to get through this, so please plan on being here from 8-5 on both Saturday and Sunday. We can also schedule these classes for two Saturdays, or two Sundays, if that works better. In the end you walk out with a Staunton style competition chess set (4" kings!) complete with carved knights.
CLASS PAGE: BEGINNER'S CHALLENGE... MAKE A CHESS SET IN TWO DAYS! includes all how-to videos...check it out!
Skill Set of the Victorian Turners
This class is actually an extension of the chess set making class. In the chess set class, you learn solid-body spindle turning and carving at the lathe. In this class, you are taught a wider and extremely useful set of skills: design, external form, modified hollow form, turning between centers, turning with end running free (use of a glue chuck), capture ring turning, bone turning, finial work, threading, object replication.
The first day, you make an object going through the various skills step-by-step. On the second day, you make a copy of that object...trying to remember for yourself how to do it! We are there the entire time to help, of course. The class page (below) has the syllabus, videos of each step of making the object, and videos of making the tools. Check them out and write if you have questions.
It takes ALL day, EACH day to get through this, so please plan on being here from 8-5 on both Saturday and Sunday. We can also schedule these classes for two Saturdays, or two Sundays, if that works better.
CLASS PAGE: SKILL SET OF THE VICTORIAN TURNERS
includes all how-to videos...check it out!
Woodturning projects for friends,
A SHOUT OUT FOR STUDENTS!
As well as teaching here at the
workshop, I also have "distance students" who learn from the videos
as well as extended email correspondences. This is done at no charge whatsoever
to the student.
One of these students, Haim Hen of beautiful Zichron Yaackov, Israel, sent me a link to his work. Pictures speak more loudly than words...take a look!